Sunday, May 19, 2013

Blog 25: Mentorship

Literal

  • Stephanie Gamboa: Office Manager at Cora Med, (909) 865-5777 
    • Mentor is Emma Cook: Leave of absence 
  • Tiffany Ramirez: Foothill Presbyterian Hospital, (626) 915-6237
Interpretive

  • The most important thing that I have gained from this experience is that I have learned how to communicate on a professional level. This experience has given me the opportunity to work with doctors, nurses and patients at both my mentors office and at Foothill Presbyterian. By working with the doctors, nurses, and patients I have learned how to communicate with each person in a different way. I learned that you do not communicate with the doctors in the same way that you  would with a patient. This was especially true at the hospital, because many times the patients are very ill and I have to communicate on a simpler level with them. This is very important to me because communication is used in almost every part of your life. Knowing how to communicate with people is a positive characteristic and it will help get you through life. 
Applied

  • Through the time that I have spent at my mentorship I have been given many tasks. I have helped send letters to patients for follow up appointments. I have also shadowed my mentor Physician Assistant Emma Cook. My essential question is "What is the best way to promote STD prevention in youth?" The experience of shadowing in the doctors office has helped me answer my Essential Question because I was allowed to interact with patients which has allowed me too see how doctors promote STD prevention in youth. I learned that the doctors start promoting STD prevention at the age of about fifteen, or at the age when youth state that they are sexually active. They can legally start giving birth control with out parent consent at the age of twelve. This then helped me choose my first answer as my best answer. Which is, "Its is best to start informing youth from an early age about the consequences of being sexually active." The experiene at my mentorship helped me understand this answer in a better way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment