Monday, May 13, 2013

Planned Parenthood


On March 6, 2013 I went to Planned Parenthood to obtain information in regards to how they approach youth about sexually transmitted diseases. I went into the clinic, and there was a process that I had to take in order to obtain the information I was seeking. The secretary informed me that I would have to call the main office in Los Angeles. So I did, I called and they never responded back to me. So I went into the Planned Parenthood clinic again, and this time I went in as a patient. I filled out all the paper work, like if I was there to get tested for HIV. I was then called in by a nurse. When she took me in she asked me if I had any questions and I did. I  had a whole list of questions for her. I asked her questions in regards to how they promote getting tested and about the youth that go in  to get tested, she answered them as best as she could. I then got a better understanding of the Planned Parenthood goal. She was very passionate about the topic. She then tested me and I came out negative. I decided to get tested to experience what other youth experience when they decide to get tested. I realized that going to get tested is not as easy as it looks. By doing all the research about STD prevention and promotion I thought it would be easy to go in and ask to be tested. But after I went in to go get tested and I experienced it first hand. I found that it was very uncomfortable and awkward, I also talked to a few teens in the clinic and they also confirmed that it was awkward for them. They said it took a lot of courage for them to actually step into the clinic. I asked the teens that I talked to about how they had heard about the testing here at Planned Parenthood and they said through their sex ed class in school. This made me happy to know that the school program had encouraged some youth to go get tested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment